Baile an Ístínigh (Ballineesteenigh)

SMR: KE043-248----
Type: Ogham Stone
Baile an GhoilínTownland of the little creek


DINGLE Location

Original: Baile an ÍstÍnigh
Present: Within the grounds of Coláiste Íde, Baile an Ghoilín.


The inscription reads: MOINENA MAQI OLACON (Macalister 1949, 142-4, No. 147).
The fracture across the middle of the stone removed two of the E scores but otherwise the inscription is clearly legible. A small Latin cross is inscribed on the opposite side of the stone. (Cuppage 1986, no. 791)


When first discovered in 1790, this ogham stone stood upright in the middle of Ballineesteenig village (Pelham 1804, 185).
It was later broken in two, and the pieces served various purposes around the farm prior to their removal to Burnham House (Coláiste Íde, see KE053-012009-), where they remain today.
It is a long rounded boulder, 1.98m long and 1m in circumference.


1. Cuppage, J. 1986 Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne.

2. Macalister, R.A.S. 1945 Corpus inscriptionum insularum celticarum. Dublin. Stationery Office.

3. McManus, D. 1997 A guide to ogam. Maynooth: Monographs 4. Maynooth. An Sagart.

Site recorded by:

Kathleen Reen.